Rest in Peace
In 2008, the National Baseball Hall of Fame awarded Niehaus with the Ford C. Frick Award, the highest honor for American baseball broadcasters. Among fans nationwide and his peers, Niehaus is considered to be one of the finest sportscasters in history.
Niehaus is noted for using the following catchphrases on Mariner broadcasts:
- “My, oh my!” – a variant of former Angels partner Enberg’s “Oh, my!”, used for big, exciting plays.
- “Swung on and belted!” – used on long fly balls that may go over the wall for a home run.
- “It will fly away!”‘ (sometimes “Fly, fly away!”) – used for home runs.
- “Get out the rye bread and mustard, Grandma, it is grand salami time!” – used for a grand slam home run by a Mariners player.
- “The Mariners have erupted!” – used during scoring outbursts
The Creator of “A-Rod”
Our next podcast will be released on Friday, November 26th. This podcast will feature sporstcaster great, Vin Scully. This podcast will also have a segment honoring Dave Niehaus who loved his craft even though his beloved Mariners never took him to the World Series.
Dave Niehaus Obituary